NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Friday, June 17, 2005

Jeannin reportedly joins Bulls

The following article is from This is Exeter:

Former Exeter City defender Alex Jeannin has been forced to turn his back on a possible return to the Football League after Shrewsbury Town stalled on offering him a deal.

The Frenchman has instead opted to join Nationwide Conference side Hereford United - meaning he could make a rapid return to St James's Park next season.

Former Darlington left-back Jeannin spent two successful years with the Grecians but was released at the end of last season after manager Alex Inglethorpe had his playing budget slashed.

The 27-year-old always planned to prolong his career in England and was hopeful the League Two Shrews would give him a route back into the league.

But a contract failed to materialise and Jeannin was forced to look elsewhere.

"I had been in contact with Shrewsbury but that was a no-go because they wanted me to wait until July," he told Echo Sport from his native France.

"I was thinking I was going to sign for them but I had another meeting and was asked to wait again. I was thinking about them but I couldn't wait any longer so I turned down their offer.

"I had a good meeting with the Hereford staff, manager and chairman and everything was very good.

"I'm a bit disappointed not to be back in the league, but maybe I wouldn't have been first choice at Shrewsbury. I'm happy to sign for Hereford."

Jeannin has made more than 100 appearances for English clubs, including 39 for City last season, since joining Darlington from Troyes in 2001.

He was given special dispensation to turn out for Bristol Rovers on the final day of last season, but he turned down a permanent move to the Memorial Ground as he was unlikely to be a first-choice next season.

So he was glad of the opportunity to establish himself in the Bulls' side for next season as they look to better last year's failure in the Conference play-offs.

"It was my challenge to come back to the Football League, but I have signed for a very good Conference club who want to win promotion next year," Jeannin said.

"Maybe I can get back into the league with Hereford, I'd be happy to do that. They have kept their good players and also want to sign some more. They were very keen to sign me. They wanted me very badly so I think I have made a good choice. They want me to be first-choice left-back, but you can never guarantee anything so I have to go there and prove myself.

"I have to go and work very hard for my place."

The Edgar Street side are one of the Grecians' closest rivals in the Conference and the two sides have clashed on Boxing Day in each of the last two years.

And Jeannin was looking forward to returning to St James's Park as a visiting player next season.

"I know a few of the Hereford players because we have played lots of games against them in the last two years," he said.

"I know they are a quality team who play good football and I think I will enjoy it. Last year we (Exeter) dominated them but two years ago they dominated us.

"But every time it was a very good game with a big crowd and I expect it to be the same next season.

"It would be very good to come back to the ground and see the staff and the players.

"It will be a bit weird to play there, but that's football and I'll be happy to come back to Exeter."


However, Hereford United have said that the reports are premature, and Jeannin has not signed.