NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Monday, May 22, 2006

Green gives a little extra

This report by Graham Nicklass is from the Independent:

Ryan Green, the former Wolves defender, chose the most opportune time to hit a rare goal that gave Hereford back their coveted membership of the Football League after nine years of trying. His 108th-minute extra-time effort sealed victory in an enthralling Conference play-off-final against a hearty Halifax side in front of a half-full Walkers Stadium.

Green was so overjoyed at grabbing only the fourth goal of his career that he tore his shirt off his back, smacked the corner flag with his fist and jumped into the crowd, which earned him a caution from the referee Dean Whitestone.

But the youngest player ever to wear a Wales non-league international shirt confessed that he might not be joining the Bulls in League Two next season. Green, who has served Hereford for three years, said: "I love Hereford and the fans but I am out of contract and I don't know what's happening with me now. I will be meeting manager Graham Turner on Monday where we will have to discuss terms. Maybe I will sign but I don't know because there are a lot of other League clubs interested in me and I might move on."

Green acknowledged the remarkable efforts put in by Turner, the former Wolves, Aston Villa and Shrewsbury manager who has spent the past 11 years keeping the club afloat as chairman and major shareholder. He added: "The fans love him - he's a legend. He took over when the club was nearly bankrupt and put his money in. I'm so pleased for him now he's finally taken us up."

Turner, who was at the helm when the Bulls were demoted in 1997, said: "This is my greatest achievement. Any regrets that I have had over the years have gone at this very moment."

The Shaymen twice led through good strikes from the dangerous Lewis Kileen and substitute John Grant, a former Hereford player. Yet the Bulls, perennial bridesmaids after finishing runners-up three years in a row and losing two play-off semi-finals, forced extra time with headers from Andy Williams and substitute Guy Ipoua.

Halifax manager Chris Wilder said: "Hereford have come so close in recent years that maybe, as their manager said, if there is justice, it had to be their day."