NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Monday, May 17, 2010

From the Archives - New Deal For Elmo

May is usually the month when existing players at clubs learn their fate. Are they to be released or offered a new contract?

Ten years ago part-timer Robin Elmes had just finished his first season with Hereford United after being scouted by Ron Jukes from Halesowen. He was offered a fresh deal by manager Graham Turner and was pleased to accept.

Elmo scored 15 goals in his first season with the Bulls, joint top scorer with Paul Fewings who had just left Edgar Street after a falling-out with Turner. However Elmo wasn't always a striker.

"I don't think I was seen as a goalscorer as such when I signed for Hereford," said Elmes. "I was seen more as a target-man and a nuisance to defenders.

"The goals really have been a bonus and to finish with my highest tally of goals at any level has been great.

"But next season I feel I can go on and do better. Though I'm 30, I'm still learning. I had not played in this position until 18 months ago at Halesowen and it's a question of the more you play the better you get."

Graham Turner isn't known for offering players more than one year deals so when Elmes signed a two year contract it appeared he was well thought of by Turner especially as he continued his day job as a school teacher.

"I was more than happy to sign a new deal," Elmes continued. "I don't think we are that far away from being a top-three side.

"Hereford is an excellent club, well run and very professional under Mr Turner. Everything is geared up to success and to get back into the Football League."

Last season there was the FA Cup run which included a goal for Elmo against Hartlepool and a third round tie against Leicester.

"I wouldn't want to swap the FA Cup for anything," said Elmes.

"It gave us a lot of confidence and we took that into the league form. After the Leicester replay, we went unbeaten for 13 games. We know we can get results against anybody and now we want to prove that in the Conference next season."