NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Carrying The Olympic Torch was Fantastic says Rob

Hereford United supporter Rob Powell was one of the select few who carried the olympic torch through the city earlier today.

Later he was interviewed by Peter Allen for BBC Five Live.

"It was absolutely fantastic," said Rob.

"I couldn't believe how the crowds were cheering.

"There must have been thousands there - somebody said twenty five thousand in the City of Hereford."

Allen asked Rob how he had been nominated.

"I've raised a lot of money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society, my wife has got MS. I've run a few marathons, raised about £50,000."

Allen - "Did you manage to run"?

Rob - "I'm sixty now so I've got to take my time.

Allen - "Sixty is nothing"

Rob - "You've got to savour the moment. It lasts for about three minutes I think.  You can't rush these things.

"There were just hundreds of friends. But unfortunately I missed my wife. She was sitting in her chair on the one corner and I missed her.

"There's so much bad news around at the moment, to see people's smiling faces as you go through the town, it lifts everybody's spirits.

"If anybody wants to donate to the MS society that's great."