NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Saturday, December 01, 2012

Thorndale Predicts Cheltenham To Win Cup-Tie


It's 43 years since Cheltenham Town last defeated Hereford United at Whaddon Road but one of their players from that day thinks the Robins will come out on top on Monday when the two teams meet for a second round FA Cup-Tie.

Roger Thorndale was a right back who became the player to have made the most appearances, over 700, for Cheltenham and he still watches them today.

He played alongside Ronnie Radford for a spell before the latter moved to Hereford.

"I've not seen Hereford play this season so it's difficult to judge," Thorndale told the Gloucestershire press.

"But I imagine Cheltenham will win this one comfortably.

"I don't think it will be a rout, but by at least a goal or two.

"Ronnie was at left-back and I was at right-back.

"He was a great player.

"He went to Newport first and then Hereford after leaving Cheltenham."

Meanwhile his former team-mate is hopeful Hereford can do the business.

"I had five happy seasons at Cheltenham and it was a great part of my life," said Radford.

"We made loads of friends and they visit my wife and me each year.

"But Hereford was just something special and remains special to this day.

"I hope it’s a draw, goes to a replay and then Hereford go through."

For the record the game Cheltenham won, by two goals to one, was a Southern League Cup quarter-final tie in 1969.