Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Derby Draw for Bulls

Following a recently improved home record, the Whites remain 5 games unbeaten for the first time in 7 years. Taking this into account, Martin Foyle sent out the same team that beat Salisbury on the weekend.

Despite the Harriers kicking off, the Bulls were the first team to show intent on goal. After some decent build up play, Josh O’Keefe was unlucky not to grab an early opener, when his shot went just wide of the upright.

Kidderminster’s Lee Vaughan was fouled 22 yards out by left-back Bush and Dyer delivered the ball into the heart of the box. Michael Rankine did well to head the ball out for a corner, which Lloyd-Weston tipped over the bar from close-range. A third and final corner was to follow, and this was easily cleared by Hereford.

Rod McDonald Clears A Kiddy Corner
Josh Gowling then conceded a corner when he overhit his back-pass. Walker’s inswinger was met by O’Keefe’s head, but he sent the ball wide to keep the scores level.

Chris Sharp showed skill and determination down the left-wing, and got the ball past 3 markers. He carved out a pass to Rankine, who then lost possession in the danger area. More chances were to follow for the Bulls, especially when Bush utilised the left wing to whip in a cross. After being knocked around in the box, the ball fell to the feet of Walker. His shot was deflected out for a corner. The resulting corner came to nothing more than a goal kick.

Frankie Artus had a great chance to put the Bulls ahead, when he received a cross ball by Rankine, but Artus’ right footed short was too high to trouble visiting keeper, Danny Lewis.

Following a decent period of United possession, the Bulls won an attacking throw which Chris Bush took. His trademark long throw was dealt with by the Kidderminster defenders, and went out for a corner. Walker’s low corner into the box was easily cleared by Vaughan.

A final chance of the first period fell to Artus, after Bush took a free kick short to Aruts, following a foul on Sharp. Artus chipped the ball goal-bound, but Lewis was there to prevent the hosts taking the lead on the stroke of half time.

HT: Hereford 0 – Kidderminster 0

Walker was then replaced during the break, reportedly due to a hamstring injury, by youngster Jamie Edge.

After looking positive on the attack, Kidderminster’s Storer crossed the ball to the onrushing Ladapo, who just failed to get a touch and the ball ran harmlessly out for a goal kick.

Substitute Edge crossed the ball to Sharp, who then managed to win a United corner. Edge’s initial corner was delivered low but was knocked out for a second corner, this one looked more promising, as O’Keefe tried a tight pass along the goal line, but Graham couldn’t quite keep the ball in play.

As Hereford looked to be becoming stronger in their attacking play, Brown's cross into the box was deflected out for a corner. Artus’ corner was headed away, but only as far as Brown. He tried his luck with a volley from 18-yards, but his shot was too high to trouble Lewis.

It Looked As Though Frankie Artus Met The Corner Then Josh O'Keefe Got His Head To The Ball
United broke the deadlock on 61 minutes, when a Rod McDonald cross from the left, was met by O’Keefe and his looping header back across goal and into the net - putting United one up.

O'Keefe Gets The Thanks
The lead wasn’t to last though, and just 4 minutes later, Kiddy were back even. A floating Harriers free kick found Gowling unmarked on the edge of the box. Rankine failed to make a challenge, and the ball was powerfully headed into the corner of Lloyd-Weston’s net.

Kiddy's Goal - Scorer Josh Gowling Is Behind Jamie Edge
3 consecutive corners for the Bulls were to follow with the best chance falling to Brown but his shot from 18 yards was deflected just wide of the upright.

In the 4 minutes injury time, Edge’s attempted cross was deflected out for a corner. The low corner from Artus was hit goal bound by Collins, but his effort was blocked, and his follow up shot forced Lewis into making a fine save.

FT: Hereford 1 – Kidderminster 1
Att: 2,014 with 340 from across the border.
Sponsors’ MotM: Goalscorer Josh O’Keefe.

Hereford: Lloyd-Weston, Collins, McDonald, Graham, Bush, Walker (Edge 46’), Artus, O’Keefe, Brown, Rankine, Sharp (Leadbitter 70’). Subs not used: Purdie, Smith, Williams.
Kidderminster: Lewis, L Vaughan, Gowling, Demetriou, Jackman, Dyer (Gittings 66’), Storer, Ladapo (Morgan-Smith 54’), Byrne, Cieslewicz, Gash. Subs not used: Dunkley, N Vaughan, Aloi.

This is United’s best home form since 2006, and with a bit more composure in front of goal, could easily have won again this evening. Although, on the balance of play, a draw was probably the right result. But, at the end of the day, it’s another point closer to safety.

Up next, it's Woking away on Monday night, time to see if we can carry this good form away from home.