NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

To Tommy, A Poem


Written by The Yank:

“I’m a football man, “ he said,
As if to cure all ills,
But words will never pay the rent,
Or cover unpaid bills. 

“I’m a football man, “ he claims,
Whenever he is able,
Nor does that pay your employees, 
To put food on the table. 

“I’m a football man, “ he jests,
In hopes to get a laugh,
But that won’t take you very far,
When you have no office staff.

“I’m a football man, “ he states,
To please the angry hoard,
So no one will look up the names,
Of the oft-rotating Board.

“I’m a football man, “ he sings,
The chorus never ceases,
To drown out all the questions,
Of who should hold the leases.

“I’m a football man, “ he hopes,
In tricky situations,
Will sort out little problems,
Such as safety regulations.

“I’m a football man, “ he cries,
With quite suspicious haste,
To try to cover up the mounds,
Of dumped illegal waste.

“I’m a football man, “ he pleads,
A stance whence he won’t budge,
Yet this won’t do a lot of good,
When pleading to a judge.

“I’m a football man, “ he feels,
As if to offer proof,
That he can build a football team,
With inexperienced yoof.

“I’m a football man, “ he prays,
And tries to fill the stands,
But you cannot be a football man,
If you haven’t any fans.