NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Graham Turner issues Statement

The following statement has been released by Hereford United chairman Graham Turner:

I would like to place on record my views of the issues regarding an unofficial web site and recent statements made on it by its contributors.

The site organisers have been warned in the past about libellous, unfounded or offensive accusations concerning members of the Club staff.

The Club is fortunate in having a loyal, hardworking staff who have in the past and will continue in the future to do anything necessary to ensure the smooth running, stability and viability of the Club. Anything necessary has meant that there are no demarkation lines in their jobs. They have willingly carried out tasks from, knocking down walls, cleaning toilets or even sitting up half the night inside the ground in order to help the police catch the vandals who have caused us so many problems recently.

Their loyalty deserves my loyalty to them; I cannot therefore sit back and do nothing about the outrageous, unfounded and libellous comment that came onto this web site. In my view the organisers must take responsibility and be accountable for what is posted. They provide the vehicle for the comment so therefore must take responsibility to have it monitored. Unfortunately contributors hide behind on non-de-plumes and therefore are not readily traceable.

Complaints from me in the past has brought assurances that offensive posting would be removed and offenders banned from the site personally. I do not like the anonymity of the contributors, but providing it is controlled and free from libellous comment I realise that many people gain pleasure from it's use therefore I am prepared to accept it's existence.

This weekend an unfounded and libellous statement was posted after our match against Rochdale, it remained on the site for 3 days before our request to have it removed was carried out. I do not accept that for three days the organisers did not know of its existence or its implications. At no time have I ever asked for it to be closed.

I cannot or will not have libellous comments posted without me coming to the support of my staff. Because the contributors hide behind anonymity the only people that I can hold responsible are the organisers, that is what I have done. If someone can suggest to me a better way of protecting my staff then I would like to hear it.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a subversive element albeit a very small element that are intent on destabilising the Club otherwise why a desire to get our sponsors involved.

At a time when the Club is financially viable has the prospect of exciting development plans, has regained League status and is respected by a great many other Clubs for its organisation. Hence Watford's willingness to loan out two of its bright young stars. Plus the team has started the season well playing some very good football leads me to suspect there maybe hidden agendas to the website issue.

I have had a couple of sleepless nights over the problem and may have a few more before it is all settled, however nothing will deter or detract me from remaining loyal to my valued staff if that means we lose a few supporters then so be it. I will not sit back and allow their good names and reputation be dragged through the mud. If anyone can suggest a better way for supporting my staff I would like to hear it.

I would be quite willing to meet with the contributors to the site, perhaps in Legends one evening for a full and frank discussion on two conditions, that there is an independent Chairperson and that contributors register at the door with their full name and contributors pen name and that they tell us who they are before asking a question.

Graham Turner
Chairman/Director of Football