NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Parry recalled to Welsh Squad

Paul Parry has been recalled to the Welsh Squad for the upcoming games with Iceland and Holland. The former Hereford United striker had been left out of several squads.

"I want to get back for Wales. I have had a few problems off the field which are coming to an end now," commented Parry.

Parry's recall is timely as he prepares for Saturday's FA Cup final. His team, Cardiff City, are hoping to make it the second time a Welsh club has won the Cup with a win over Portsmouth. That first happened in 1927 when Cardiff defeated Arsenal 1-0. And if they win then Parry and his team-mates will have a chance to play in an European competition.

Recently Parry has missed several games with an hamstring injury including the semi-final game against Barnsley and was worried he might miss the final.

"Before the semi, when I picked up my injury, I thought my world was coming to an end. When the final whistle went after the semi, it was always my aim to get fit for the final," Parry told the Western Mail.

"It’s every boy’s dream to play in a major game at Wembley. To be told you had no chance of playing in it would be heartbreaking.

"They don’t come along very often and I’ve never had the opportunity to play there before. And, of course, there were no guarantees that we would get through against Barnsley.

"I thought there was every chance that it could have gone and that I’d never have the opportunity to do it again.

"I probably took a lot of anger out on people close to me, my partner and what have you.

"I was probably a nightmare to live with at home because whatever was going on, I just didn’t want to know about it.

"All that was going through my mind was that I wasn’t going to be playing on the Sunday."

Parry' greatest FA Cup memory is from when he was with the Bulls and that match against Leicester eight seasons ago.

"Before this year, that was the furthest I’d ever been in the competition.

"So to go from the third round to the final is a big leap and a big achievement for me."