NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Thursday, November 25, 2010

There's Life after Football says Baker

Former Hereford United goalkeeper Matt Baker, pictured in 2003, is now working for the Sun. He does match reports for them. However it's only part time and he has other interests as he explained to the Football League website.

Baker, who kept goal for the Bulls from August 2000 to July 2004, had to give up his career in football after a knee injury.

"I was about 26, and I started to think about what I should do after football. A journalism degree course came up at Staffordshire University and I combined that with what I was still doing. I did it for two days a week and thought I fancy a bit of that.

"I managed to make quite a few contacts and after I retired as a player I did a year working for the MK Dons' website, 'Dons World'.

"During that time I got to know the Assistant Sports Editor of The Sun who lived nearby and covered their games. He said I should ring him because he was looking for good people to cover games. I did and the following week I was covering a Bradford City match. Pretty much since then I have been covering a game every week."

In the week Baker works for a major machine tool manufacturing company. And on top of that he's gone into politics with the Conservative party.

"In the last two or three years, since all the economic problems started, politics has come to the fore and people have started to take more of an interest which is a good thing.

"The emphasis is on more power and local government and local people getting involved in issues that affect them. I went from volunteering to being a candidate, it was quite exciting and a great experience.

"There are days when I think I should still be playing out there. If I did I probably wouldn't be able to walk for three or four days afterwards.

"I still pay attention to the results of my old clubs, particularly Hereford United. The Manager, Jamie Pitman, was best man at my wedding so I hope he does well!

"Anybody who tells you they didn't enjoy playing is a liar. The main thing you miss though is the banter in the dressing room, you just don't get that in any other workplace

"I'm still not sure about what I'll be doing in the future but in a strange way politics replicates football. You're in the public domain, you have the chance to affect people's lives in a positive way and that's something that really appeals to me. The experience of the last year has been fascinating."